Sunday, May 16, 2010

Auditory Storytelling

Life,Hedonism, and the Door by koreandeath

An older track experimenting with auditory story telling and suggestion. An invitation to study architecture with musical relevance. Granular synthesis, field recordings, and Kurzweil K2000 synthesizer.

The synthesizer was played "live". Meaning, it took a single take. The programming for that thing was fairly difficult. It was one my first experiences using a software synth sound I created, patched into a hardware instrument (the K2000), and edited accordingly. It was quite an enjoyable experience, though I do not consider this track to be anything more than a b-side if you will.
The ending has an interesting turn with the glitch industrial rhythm. I was very pleased with it. I think I will use it's general structure to create something more elaborate in the future. We shall see.
The field recordings are something I would like to focus a bit more on. Actually capturing the ambiance of different common places. Things to conjure visuals into the minds of the audience. Make it like following a story via clues. Waiting for new things to present themselves and reveal where you are and where you are going. I have a project coming up that is nothing short of literally auditory story-telling. Very excited indeed.

Granular synthesis produces such awesome results. Unexpected powerful expressions that can wash away monotony or shatter rhythms. I love them. I need to find some hardware capable of doing such things...So far I have only messed around with software.
...Stand by while I google....

uhm. nevermind. Apparently, I do not know what I am looking for yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment