Wednesday, May 12, 2010

ænθrəpəˈmɔːfɪk


Dreamscape:
Received compensation rating decision. I was looking at it online. "The computer doesn't have a wireless connection at this house"-Never-mind that-What is the rating?
Thirty percent. Finally, a decision.
It is a week day. Let me go and see if they will cut me a check. Outside on the street near the "building", a woman wearing a sport coat. Only a sport coat. Completely nude otherwise.
Hairy genital region. I heard the commotion of friends greeting her style.

I have to get this check.
Another nude executive coming from the office. END

I got up and logged on. There is no gadget for dreams. At least not one desirable for this page. I will design one. It will be a means to catalog for later reference and enhancement of dream recall.

I came a cross a site called MOG today. Excellent radio. For five marvelous dollars, you can listen to your favorite artist albums and related playlists. Cheap and Awesome. They do not have a gadget. I am going to become a gadget designer.

Ménage à trois Kurzweil K2000 and Akai Mpc 2000.
I spoke with my good friend whom I have been collaborating with musically for the past couple of years. We were enjoying a conversation regarding samples in music, and finding their often obscure sources.

"Welcome to Planet Motherfucker/Psychoholic Slag"by White Zombie

Some of the samples in the beginning are from the Anime/Hentai Urotsukidōji,Legend of the Overfiend.

My friend was watching Legend of the Overfiend for the first time, and he heard and recognized it immediately. There is something about recognizing these obscure source of sound bytes that is really pleasurable.

Especially, when it isn't expected. Some of my examples:



This is a scene from George Lucas' film THX 1138. While watching this scene I immediately recognized a sound-byte thrown into a song
nine inch nails, the downward spiral, Mr. Self Destruct

The first track off this album has a sample from the movie, "the thief, the cook, his wife, and her lover". Mastodon's "Crusher Destroyer" opens with a sample from Jurassic Park. Examples of samples collected serendipitously.

Essentially, most people would claim it was serendipitous in nature. The truth is that this phenomena or synchronicity (a term adorned to such scenarios by Jung) has a remarkable scientific following. It is in the study of memes ( a term created for the exact same phenomena only separated by scientific inquiry. Whatever Richard Dawkins). Most would be quick to conclude that certain cultural dispositions are not remarkable but just the way things are. "I like what I like, and they like what they like."Most think that their individuality does indeed exist despite the fact they do have a cultural orbit. If this notion of cultural disposition is warranted, like a beacon at the end of a tunnel, like cattle corralled into a chute, is it not impossible to presume that we are part of a super-organism?
As for the first person claim: "I like what I like, and they like what they like."
Super-organism versus super-organism. Beliefs are validated by a very intimate conviction, yet, without the pressure of sociologically imposed introspection, would such a belief be necessary or even within the scope of mental wanderings? Are your opinions serving you? Or a group? A collective? Whatever.

So as I sat in front of these films recognizing these samples, I found myself astonished that my favorite artists had many of my similar interests. Birds of a feather. Memes.

No comments:

Post a Comment